Saturday, December 10, 2016

Start Seeing Diversity Blog: Creating Art

 
“In our society, many issues divide people. These include age, gender, sexual orientation, family composition, economic class, physical abilities and characteristics, race and ethnicity, and many others.” (Laureate Education).
 
 
There was a time when I didn't quite understand myself,
and the misunderstandings and feelings of hurt I've caused on everyone else.
Being exposed to the negativity from those around me and from a different race,
I began to feel incomplete and lost control of myself.
With the passive aggressions from those, I held within,
I began to seek revenge and hold grudges on other races, and refused to let anyone else in.
Many struggles of racism came, but the fact remained,
that I must devise a plan, to keep this cycle from being the same.
After taking time to think and analyze all of the things that could possibly hurt me,
I also began to consider others as well, and this method was a start to set me free.
From the guilt and shame on backing away, judging those who actually meant no harm,
I faced these challenges on by one, and my emotional walls of protection were finally disarmed.
Thanks to my support team, we stuck together,
assisted each other and became better than ever.
To keep the world from being wrapped up in this circle of socialization,
we as a people must reach out to others to reduce anti-bias and form better organization
 


2 comments:

  1. Diedra,

    Thanks for sharing your poetry about diversity. These past few weeks have definitely taught me to be aware of my own biases. I also struggled with several "isms" throughout my life but I have learned not to hold grudges toward others. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    Great family child care setup. Having visual art that displays diversity is a brilliant idea. No child will feel excluded. Once they feel included, they will interact more, and be receptive to the imformation given. Informational blog this week!

    ReplyDelete