Saturday, May 14, 2016

Your Personal Research Journey

Research Simulation Topic
Hello Class!! Through the duration of this class, the topic of my research simulation will be: “How does changing demographics and diversity change teaching or instructional practice in the pre-school classroom?” I chose this particular topic because I have always been interested in multi-cultural education and diversity in the classroom and knowing that this topic is known to have a dramatic change on teaching and instruction, I decided to elaborate on this further. As an aspiring early childhood professional, I am sure that I will be faced with this same situation in the future. I found it quite challenging to find resources to reflect this topic, but I was able to retrieve articles that introduced some of the teaching styles and methods to include for the culturally diverse. I am currently doing fine for the moment for this process, but I am always willing to accept assistance. Therefore, I am open to take suggestions and any helpful tips that anyone has to offer for this process. The resources that I have chosen for my topic are listed below. Thank you and good luck to the rest of you all on your research topics
 
    Drake, D. D. (1993). Student Diversity: Implications for Classroom Teachers. Clearing House, 66(5), 264-266.
 
Kohnert, K., Dongsun, Y., Nett, K., Pui Fong, K., & Duran, L. (2005). Intervention with Linguistically Diverse Preschool Children: A Focus on Developing Home Language(s). Language, Speech & Hearing Services In Schools, 36(3), 251-263.
 Souto-Manning, M., & Mitchell, C. (2010). The Role of Action Research in Fostering Culturally-Responsive Practices in a Preschool Classroom. Early Childhood Education Journal, 37(4), 269-277. doi:10.1007/s10643-009-0345-9
 


4 comments:

  1. Diedra,
    Thanks for sharing your resources and insights. Diversity as a broad topic is on that is on everyone's mind these days because the demographics of our country are changing so much, I am sure you will be able to put your new information to good use. Janet Gonzalez Mena and Louise Derman Sparks are two of my go to experts on matters of diversity. Janet has an infant toddler expertise perspective, I have a number of her books but she also is published in NAEYC and I think Zero to Three she is an instructor for West Ed's Program for Infant Toddler Caregivers curriculum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diedra,

    I recently looked at the website ZerotoThree.org and I think that it may be helpful for the direction you are going with your research. Researching demographics in early childhood seems to be a great topic because the world has changed so much. I think that all children can benefit from high-quality early childhood education, but the greatest long-term benefits are for students from disadvantaged backgrounds. As the demographics of our country changes, we have more students who need that extra attention. Researching and learning more about what to do in the classroom can be very beneficial to you. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete