Saturday, September 17, 2016

How Diversity Dictates My Communication

 
 
As individuals, we all have our own original way of communicating, and it is normal that we may communicate differently with the particular crowds we accompany. I myself have the tendency to speak in different manners while in the presence of those with different groups and cultures, such as: race, religion, sexual orientation and varying abilities.
          When speaking with those that are of a different race than I, (Preferably Caucasian), I tend to speak in a more generous tone that helps my listener feel more at ease in the conversation. Keeping eye- contact and an occasional smile here and there is required to me as well. This particular form of communication is important to me due to the fact that there has been quite controversy on the relationship between African Americans and Caucasians since my older generations, and because I hardly get the chance to actually affiliate with Caucasians, I always try to make the best impression as possible when that opportunity does present itself.
When communication with those of a different religion than mine, I am more of a listener than speaker. My reason for this manner is the intentions I have to perceive others than myself and considering the cultures they obtain, in order to enhance my ways of understanding ones differences, than judging.
Communication with those of diverse sexual orientation, I usually carry the conversation with the reduction of labeling. “The labels we choose for our beliefs affect how we communicate them to others.” (O'Hair & Wiemann, 2015, p. 76). Avoiding biases and prejudice when speaking of individuals of LGBT is very important to me, therefore I speak neutrally to avoid any signs nicroaggressions.
“You let others know about yourself through self-presentation-intentional communication designed to show elements of the self for strategic purposes.” (O'Hair & Wiemann, 2015, p. 55). How we communicate with others, especially those different from our culture can say a lot about our character. No two people communicate the same, but it is vital that we learn to respectfully communicate with others through listening, as well as responding. I personally have a method for communicating with certain individuals for specific reasons.

References:
 O'Hair, D., Wiemann, M., Mullin, D. I., & Teven, J.  (2015). Real communication (3rd. ed). New York: Bedford/St. Martin's.
 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Diedra

    Great blog. I do my best to keep my to keep my communication skills the same with everyone. I know sometimes I might speak a little different to the parents of the children in the classroom. I love to learn new things so if there is a parent from a different culture I will ask them different questions to learn more about them. I too am more of a listener when wanting to know more about someone new.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diedra,
    I enjoyed your post! I agree that I also may communicate a little differently with others. Definitely staying clear of culture myopia can help with getting to know others better. Being open to diversity can be an effective way to communicate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I too, listen more than talk when it comes to a topic I am A. passionate about or B. unsure about. That leaves alot of listening and less talking. You really learn about somebody by listening to them anyways. When we listen instead of talk we learn about the person and how we can be a better person too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Diedra. I as well listen more than talking when it comes to learning about my families etc. You tend to learn more about cultures and who are families are when you listen to their needs, comments, thoughts and experiences.

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete