Saturday, April 1, 2017

Jobs/Roles in the ECE Community: National/Federal Level

 
Jobs/Roles in the ECE Community: National/Federal Level
 
National Association for the Education of Young Children | NAEYC.
I chose this in particular as a source for assisting to meet the needs of the non-English speaking families I believe contacting the organization, asking for assistance on working with diverse families could help as well. I have also decided on practicing the principles of the “No Child Left Behind Act” to implement my choice of collaborating with individuals for the needs of all diverse families to ensure that needs are properly and equally met.
 
The NAEYC offers individuals leadership opportunities as follows:
NAEYC’s network of Affiliates provide excellent opportunities for members to participate in activities at the state and local levels. Contact your local or state NAEYC Affiliate for information about service opportunities in your area.

National Leadership Opportunities

Many NAEYC programs offer leadership opportunities as reviewers or consulting editors. In addition, current NAEYC members are eligible to serve in governance as members of the NAEYC Governing Board or the Council for NAEYC Accreditation of Programs for Young Children. View current opportunities in the chart below.

Young Professionals Advisory Council

NAEYC formed the Young Professionals Advisory Council in Fall 2015 in order to help us better understand and meet the needs of the youngest members of the profession. Click to learn more and view the full roster. YPAC members serve a two-year term; applications open in July each year. 
 
U.S. Department of Justice.
(DOJ), is the agency that I chose to refer to in protection of my limited and non-English speaking families and their services.
USAJobs.gov allows you to search for openings by location or keyword. You can also search for openings within a specific Department of Justice agency. Become a My USAJobs Member to post and create a resume, apply to Federal Government jobs, and receive automated job alerts.
Through USA Jobs, the Department of Justice offers multiple positions to be applied for, such as:
Director, Federal Bureau of Prisons   
Department of Communities, Child Safety and Disability Services (Queensland Government)
I decided to adopt the “Child Safety” from the Queensland Government in Australia. The Queensland Government is international organization that offer services such as, the Queensland Multicultural Resource Directory, available through the Multicultural Affairs Queensland website.
 
I saw no job opportunities for the Queensland Government.
 
The NAEYC showed no requirements for position, being that all were currently filled from what I could see. and the Department of Justice required applicants to create an account through USA jobs and fill out an application and upload a resume.
 
 
References
 
(2016, October 19). U.S. Department of Justice. Departments of Justice and Health and Human Services Issue Joint Guidance for Child Welfare Systems | OPA | Department of Justice. Retrieved from http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/departments-justice-and-health-and-human-services-issue-joint-guidance-child-welfare-systems
 
(1995, ). National Association for the Education of Young Children | NAEYC. Responding to Linguistic and Cultural Diversity. Retrieved from http://www.naeyc.org/files/naeyc/file/positions/PSDIV98.PDF
 
(2010, ). Department of Communities, Child Safety and Disability Services (Queensland Government) - Department of Communities, Child Safety and Disability Services (Queensland Government). Practice paper: Working with people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds . Retrieved from http://www.communities.qld.gov.au/resources/childsafety/practice-manual/prac-paper-working-cald.pdf


5 comments:

  1. Hi Diedra,

    Great blog post this week. Thank you for sharing national and federal job opportunities within the early childhood field that interest you. I will use the websites you provided for future resources.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diedra,
    I appreciated how you thought outside the normal ECE box to explore other avenues. That is a great trait, life is very complex and if you are willing to think outside the box, you will go far in whatever position you decide to take.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Brenda OHalloran

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diedra,

    Thank you so much for posting such great information on your blog. Through USA Jobs, the Department of Justice there were a lot of jobs that I will look forward to researching once I have completed my masters. I was unfamiliar with this resource, so I am happy you shared.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Diedre,

    I am glad you mentioned roles with NAEYC that are not necessarily paid. I have been busy, but when asked in a Heart of Illinois AEYC questionnaire about getting more involved in my local NAEYC, I put that starting this summer, I would love to become more involved. Perhaps sometime I will do a training on intergenerational music! There might also be a benefit to me in volunteering in the connections I will make. Each of us has a local community of practice in our own town.

    Thanks for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diedre,
    Great post! You included a variety of sources. Sometimes when I am looking for a job or new career I feel that I trap myself inside a small box. You have opened that box for me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete