Friday, September 18, 2015

PERSONAL CHILDHOOD WEB

 My mother, Joann Applewhite, of course was the first person to show me love and care. Throughout the years of my life, my mother has clothed me, fed me, given me shelter and shared very memorable moments with me in life such as how to ride a bike without the training wheels and losing my first tooth.  I remember time when I were afraid of certain things such asthunderstorms, being alone in the dark or the “boogeyman” my mother would comfort me and reassure me that I did not have to be afraid because she would always be there for me. Growing up in my Teenage years, my Mother taught me valuable life lessons that I could take throughout the course of my life: how to be respectful and use manners, to have a great sense of honesty and integrity and to always strive to be the best that I can be. My mother always made me feel special mostly because even in the midst of my downfalls, disappointments or failures, she always gave me unconditional love and I greatly appreciate her for that.



Second is my Father, Eugene Palmer. My father is like my best friend, I can talk to him about almost anything. He always supports my decisions and backs me up whenever needed. Growing up, my father would always take me to the park and feed the ducks. This was a special activity for me because I loved going to the duck pond, It was a way to gain peace and turned into our special outing together that we did at least once every month. My father always found time to spend with me and be there for me whenever I needed. He was always the one who I would confide in when needing advice on how to handle certain situations. He would inform me when I am wrong and give alternatives to turn negative situations into positive. My father brought out my personality and is partly responsible for the kind person that I am today.

Third is my uncle, Cleaster Applewhite, my mother’s brother. My uncle has played a major role in my life as well because he served as a second father to me. For a period of time in my life, my uncle lived in the same household as me. Out of my mother’s three brothers, he was the “fun” uncle that everyone loved. I remember times when he would always give me money and help me catch the ice cream truck when it came through our neighborhood for the summer. We would sit on the front pork and talk, he would share memories about the times when he was growing up along with my mother and two uncles. My uncle was a fire-fighter when I was around nine years old. He would sometimes take me to the fire station and give me a tour. loved looking inside the firetrucks and especially riding in them. My uncle was also a lifeguard at a local pool and he would sometimes take my siblings and I and open the pool during closing hours specifically for us so we could go swimming. My uncle was also the one who taught me how to drive a car.


Next is my Older Brother, Dietrich Neal, We have an incredible Bond. Although my brother is five years older than me, I feel as if we are the same age sometimes. Growing up I would always follow behind my brother when he would leave the house or play video games, he would never get angry at the fact of me tagging along with him, instead he would let me know that it was okay to hang with him and he enjoys my company. My brother has also taught me many things and speaks on past experiences and mistakes and helps me to dodge them before I run into them. In our younger years I can recall breaking one of my mother’s expensive vases and my brother took the blame because I was afraid of getting into trouble. My brother always made me feel safe and would always protect me when needed. I love the fact that I have siblings that I can always count on. Until today my brother and I still keep a close relationship, despite the fact that we live in different towns and have responsibilities of our own. Our bond will never be broken.



Last is my cousin Dr. Lakeisha Richardson. Dr. Richardson is considered as a big sister to me, she is also one I can talk to when dealing with certain issues especially school related. Dr. Richardson was the one who gave me vital information on the situations that come with entering womanhood, gave me books and pamphlets on avoiding different illnesses and how to stay Healthy. My senior year in high school, Dr. Richardson prepped & tutored three days a week prior to taking my ACT which was a great Help. Dr. Richardson is also a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc. During my undergraduate years at MVSU, Dr. Richardson assisted me in gathering proper material in order to pledge. Thanks to the help of Dr. Richardson. I now wear the same Greek letters as her with Dignity and pride.



3 comments:

  1. I can certainly see that your family has had a powerful influence in your life. I feel family is a major key to our success. You are fortunate to have such a great support group. This makes me think about the children we work with, who do not have these supports. We need to become there powerful influences so they too can succeed and lead productive happy lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Diedra,
    You have a wonderful support group as well as a loving family. These are some nice memories that you will always have in your heart. I agree with Christina that families have a powerful influence in their children's lives. Children's future is often shaped by the first relationships with their family. We as early childhood educators also play an important role in shaping children's future and can sometimes improve the lives of children for the better. Wonderful post!
    Shelia

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was such a great read. I enjoyed reading about the relationship you have with your brother. I am 6.5 years older than her. I loved having her around though. It is so gear to read that your dad is like your best friend. What an incredible blessing!

    ReplyDelete